Sunday, November 15, 2009

November 13, 2009

Speaking of billions, if you were to look through one of the mid-sized windows in your home, then remove it from your wall and look through it above your head, you would be looking at roughly one billion stars in the sky! Now, let's talk about trillions. If you get a bunch of the same sized windows and arrange them so that they all fit together snugly until they cover the whole face of the earth, you would need about...

...May I have a drumroll, please...

...700 trillion windwos! That's a seven with 14 zeros after it! In other words, there are about 700 trillion times one billion stars in the observable universe (7x10^23)...WOAH!!!

How much would 700 trillion times one billion (7x10^23, that's a seven with 23 zeros after it. Does that have a name?) grains of sand weigh? Yesterday, I got weighed at the doctor's office prior to getting my in-grown toenail (a whopper) cut out. I weighed in at an overwhelming 210 lbs...WHOAH!!! If you were to take a number of grains of sand, equal to the number of stars we have in the observable universe, it would be about 4 quadrillion pounds (1 x 10^15 lbs). That's 18 trillion times my weight. It would be a teensie, weensie, eensie, peensie, eeny, weeny little fraction of that pile of sand, and suddenly, I feel quite small.

That evening, I went out to Nolls, Utah, about 50 miles west of Skull Valley, where Tooele's located, and probably 70 milies east of Wendover. We're talking about the middle of nowhere! The sky was almost pitch black. To walk anywhere, I had to use a headlamp. The temperature felt like it did back in Sweden, and I was there to record teh stars in the sky with my camera. The results were AWESOME!!!

The entire basis of this blog is to post only the BEST picture (singular) of the day. I'm very good about this rule. But these pictures were so SWEET that I had to break my rule. This will be the exception, and I'm also sorry about the length of this post. I know it's a waste of time, but please keep revisiting to see my bPODs and much more concise posts in the future.

bpod

The very first picture is a view of athe sky if you were to stand facing North and look straight up in the heavens. In the picture, it is very faint, but you can see a cloud, of sorts. That cloud is not water vapor. It's the Milky way...the galaxy in which we hang out! The "cloud" stretches in one huge arch from one horizon to the opposite. It's amazing. The blinking row of lights is an airplane. My shutter speed was set at 30 seconds and I noticed that there are exactly 30 blinks in the picture. So, apparently, airplanes lights blink exactly once every second.

No comments:

Post a Comment